How We Turned Our Differences into Our Secret Ingredient

 I’ve started thinking of it as a recipe: if my husband and I were the same, our "bake" would be overly sweet and one-dimensional. It’s the contrast that makes the flavor profile interesting. Men and women show these different flavors because they are drastically different—not only physically, but mentally as well.

One of the first major differences I noticed is how we navigate the world. I’ve realized that I am oriented on relationships. For example, when my husband gives me directions like, "Turn North after two miles," I get completely lost. However, I can tell you exactly when to turn once we pass that specific blue car wash or the fast-food place with the broken sign. I associate directions in relationship to other places or items. My husband, on the other hand, is spatially oriented. He associates people and items within the physical space where they belong.

I also see this in how we’ve played and interacted since we were young. I’ve observed that men often participate in "active play"—wrestling or football—while I, like many women, tend toward "social play," such as house or cooperative games. Females are naturally people-focused, meaning they prefer to interact with others and care more about cooperative play. However, males typically are things-focused. They are focused on the actions or items that they need or want to complete. It has been fascinating for me to see these tendencies begin in children even before they turn a year old.

The biggest difference I have learned in my own marriage is how we cope with and process challenging situations. When I get emotional or upset, I need to talk about it to fully process those feelings. I feel a sense of relief when I get it off my chest; I desire the feeling of someone truly listening and offering emotional support and validation.

My husband is the complete opposite. When he has strong emotions, he looks for an immediate solution. Once he finds a fix he likes, he moves on. He doesn’t have that same need to share or revisit the emotion. When we first got married, I struggled with this. I didn’t understand why he didn’t want to talk as much as I did, and I would get nervous that he was frustrated with me for wanting to discuss the same topic for the tenth time that week.

Despite these different desires, we’ve been able to work it out. I believe these differences help us grow. I’ve been able to better understand my husband as an individual because I was willing to learn how he prefers to process things.

Those differences are the "salt" in our recipe of life. In baking, salt provides the friction that makes the other flavors pop. We combine our different "flavors" to create something delicious and beautiful. That friction is exactly what we need to become our best selves individually, and especially as a couple.

I’ve learned that the most important aspect of working together is communication. In baking, if I don't tell my partner I have already added the salt, the cake is ruined. In my relationship, if he doesn't tell me why he's using a scale (his logic), and I don't tell him why I'm changing the flavor (my intuition), the kitchen stays a battlefield.

Our relationship isn't meant to be a place of tension, but a safe harbor. By communicating and staying willing to understand one another, I can make sure our "salt" mixes perfectly with the other flavors to create a truly delicious dessert.

Comments

Popular Posts